Re: audio cd problem solved [was Re: cdrom drive (round two)]

Subject: Re: audio cd problem solved [was Re: cdrom drive (round two)]
From: Mark Brethen (marbre@dhcp-159-66)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 22:32:25 MST

On Sunday 04 November 2001 11:16, Charlie Watts wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Mark Brethen wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 November 2001 07:10, Charlie Watts wrote:
> > > I bet that xmms-cdread reads the 1's and 0's from the CD and then plays
> > > them in software. Most CD players don't do that, and just tell the CD
> > > player to "play" and rely on the hardware to play it.
> >
> > The Xmms-CdRead plugin reads the CdRom as data.
>
> Right ...
>
> > > Perhaps you just have a mixer problem. Are you sure that the volume is
> > > turned up on the CD-audio input?
> >
> > This is the internal cdrom in my beige G3 and there isn't a volume
> > control on the front. It may be that the cd player doesn't have an audio
> > connection.
>
> Software mixer, I mean. K Menu -> Multimedia -> Sound Mixer. Is there a
> control for CD Audio?

Doh, I feel so stupid right now. Whenever I launched Sound Mixer it docked
itself on the panel. So... I finally figured out how to undock it and display
all of the sliders (instead of just the main volume). The control for the CD
audio was at max, however adjusting the line control (which was at the
minimum setting) and voila! Thanks for the help!

--

Mark Brethen mbrethen@rochester.rr.com