X problem on Powerbook

Subject: X problem on Powerbook
From: James Turner (jdt@dcs.warwick.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 09:22:26 MST

Hi!

I know somebody has posted about this before. I have just installed YDL
2.1 on a Powerbook G4 550 MHz with the new ATI Radeon card, and I'm
having problems setting the frame buffer to over 8-bit for X. X gives
the following error after exiting:

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Any ideas?

Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to use the radeon
device driver that comes with X instead of the frame buffer? X detects
the card, but then can't detect the video bios and so complains about
resolutions over 640x480

Any help would be appreciated.

James