Re: Installing YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Installing YDL 2.1
From: Donn Tarris (donntarris@telus.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 09:33:08 MST

On Monday, November 5, 2001, at 07:57 AM, Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Joshua Schripsema wrote:
>> I only have the OEM version of Toast (as some of you may know the OEM
>> version does not support burning a true ISO and does not allow bootable
>> CD burning unless I do a direct CD to CD burn).
>
> ?? I have the OEM version of Toast as well, and I haven't had any
> problems with burning ISO images or with bootable CDs. Just make sure
> that
> you *DON'T* mount the image first and you should be ok.

I have the deluxe version of Toast loaded, so I can't say what's
available in the OEM, but as long as you can burn as a "Disc Image" you
should be fine. Just go to that format and drag the iso file over the
Toast window.

That said, I then performed a clean install of YDL 2.1 rather than
upgrade, but I did notice the installer would handle the upgrade
process. This came in handy as my initial install of the server setup
didn't load KDE or the other administrative X type software. Following
the initial install, I went back in with BootX as if I was doing another
install and chose a different install set, this time the home office
one. Don't choose to do anything with you disks or partitions (i.e.
reformat or redesignate).
When the installer checks the list of packages, it realizes that the
latest versions of a lot of the software already exists and allows you
to bypass reloading those. Then it merrily goes about installing the
rest of the software from that new set.
This install was done on a PowerCurve 601/120 with no cache and seems to
run fine, a little slow. I used the setup assistant with a bit more
tweaking with the control panel and all seems to function as I would
expect.
My next installation addition will be the Open Office package. I'll let
the list know if I encounter any difficulties with that.

Cheers all,
Donn