Networking via DHCP

Subject: Networking via DHCP
From: Mark Jaffe (wizards@wizdev.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 11:29:32 MST

I have YDL 2.0 installed on an 8500 dual-604e machine which is going to
replace a Power120 as my main server. My current issue revolves around a
temporary network connection while the machine is in my home office while I
finish setting it up.

At the Co-Lo it has a static IP but at home it is on a DHCP network
administered by an AirPort base station. I do not have a broadband
connection, the base station needs to dial out through the internal modem.

There are two issues I am concerned with here. First of all, I am able to
obtain an IP address from the base station, but I cannot obtain any
connections to internet addresses from YDL, nor make a telnet connection to
my working server at the Co-Lo (it is working perfectly from my MacOS
machines.) And secondly, I need to know how to refresh my connection to DHCP
after the base station disconnects. I looked up the "pump" utility, but the
connection does not seem to be managed by this process (there is no
/etc/pump.cfg file.) How do I get pump to manage the DHCP? Do I need to
configure the file myself?

TIA for any help from the list.

Mark
Mark Jaffe | (408) 972-9638 (home)
Chief Wizard | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail)
Computer Wizards | (425) 795-6421 (FAX)
wizards@wizdev.net | http://www.wizdev.net/