Re: Polling SCSI bus

Subject: Re: Polling SCSI bus
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 12:34:18 MST

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, nathan r. hruby wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Charlie Watts wrote:
>

> > Hrm. But that's not quite the question. Is it -possible- to force a
> > re-scan?
> >
> > (We used to plug and unplug scsi devices in MacOS all the time - SCSI
> > Probe could rescan the bus and it 'just worked'.)
> >
> > I crossed my fingers every time I did it ...
>
> You're very lucky. I've lost a few drives and one ATTO card to nitwit
> students just "moving that drive over here for just a second 'cause I
> can't wait for it to go across the network"
>
> Scanners seem a bit more resiliant to that sort of thing, but I
> consistently get SCSI errors on the dedicated scanner machine now with
> anything higher bandwidth (aka: drives) than the scanner.

I am talking about old-school SCSI, here ... Mac IIci's and brethren.

I'm wondering if this -could- be possible with modern hardware on linux.
Boot from ramdisk, load scsi as module ...

It would depend on how shut-down the controller is when the driver isn't
loaded. Probably not enough.

Oh - we used to hot-plug ISA video and modems on PC's, too. I don't
recommend that - it takes a -smooth- hand. Hehe.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net