Re: Polling SCSI bus

Subject: Re: Polling SCSI bus
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 13:05:09 MST

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Nathan A. McQuillen wrote:

> Right. I've been doing it for years and years, even (cover your eyes!! the
> horror!!) using a DB-25 switchbox (unmount drives on Machine 1, switch
> chain via box to machine 2, run Drive Setup, command-M, drives pop up all
> happy -- blasphemy i know but having dealt with replacing a few HDI SCSI
> ports on Powerbooks I'd rather do just about anything that doesn't
> repeatedly stress the ports). Anyway, I don't want to do anything that
> heinous here, just want to be able to load data onto a drive I'm
> eventually going to be using with a Debian install on a Powerbook 170
> (only 6MB of RAM, so I have to work without a boot ramdisk) and disconnect
> and reconnect the drive a few times without having to take my whole system
> down.
>
> Might it work to compile a kernel with only module scsi support, then
> unload and reload the module to rescan?

My precise wonderment, as well ...

I bet it -doesn't-, because I think the devices are enumerated at -boot-
time. Particularly in open firmware.

Wait a minute, a PB170 won't be able to run Debian anyway, will it? That's
on 030/040 ... I don't think anything will work on that.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net