Re: Polling SCSI bus

Subject: Re: Polling SCSI bus
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 13:25:34 MST

> I bet it -doesn't-, because I think the devices are enumerated at -boot-
> time. Particularly in open firmware.

Well, my beige G3 (YDL mothership) doesn't have Open Firmware, and my
Lombard /does/ and I can use Drive Setup to rescan and mount/unmount SCSI
devices with no trouble. I don't know this stuff from a hole in the
ground, codewise, but it doesn't seem like Apple/Adaptec/whoever would be
using such terrifically bizarre SCSI routines that one couldn't recreate
them in Linux.

> Wait a minute, a PB170 won't be able to run Debian anyway, will it? That's
> on 030/040 ... I don't think anything will work on that.

http://lowendmac.com/pb/170.shtml

It's an 030 with FPU. Debian-m68k fully supports it. Nice machine but the
one I found only has the 6 megs so i've got to try to work out how to do
an install in limited ramspace -- easy enough really, just have to install
a tiny system from a different CPU onto a drive I can then give Penguin as
a boot volume, then copy everything to the internal drive. I was hoping to
use my YDL system to copy the installs over since it's got a better net
connection and drive space to burn, but there's more than one way to do
it... ;)

- N2