Re: wallstreet/lombard question

Subject: Re: wallstreet/lombard question
From: Chris von Rabenau (cvonrabe@chartermi.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 14:00:31 MST

on 11/3/01 3:55 PM, Ron Smith at ronsmith28@home.com wrote:

> I've been lurking on this list for several months and I'm glad someone
> brought up the G3 PowerBooks. I have not been able to get a workable
> installation of Linux on mine (Black Keyboard, Wallstreet). It's the
> same problem every time. I've gotten further with YDL 2.0/2.1 I still
> have video problems.
>
> I haven't been able to get the SuSE installer to run at all. I was able
> to get the YDL 2.1 GUI installer to run and install YDL. The display was
> so faint that I was only able to do it because I know the setup sequence
> and was able to barely make out the parts of the screen I needed to
> click on. After I install and reboot is where the problem I *always* run
> into at some point of trying to put linux on the machine.
>
> In the top right corner is the penguin and text scrolling down. However,
> about halfway down the screen, centered is another penguin and the same
> scrolling text! Between the display being so dim and the two displays
> wrapping around each other, I cannot make out what the messages are, but
> this is where it stays.
>
> 1. Yes, I use the kernel append video=atybf:vmode:10
> 2. The is where the installer for SuSE dies... it doesn't actually start
> the installer
> 3. When I try the text only YDL installer the display goes blank
> 4. I have tried all the combinations I know of for the "force video" and
> "no video driver" in BootX
> 5. The display works fine in Mac OS 9, I booted into it to adjust the
> brightness/contrast, but that didn't help the linux display.
>
> I've had great success on my "new world" machines, a non-firewire iBook
> SE, and a G4/500DP (although no SMP yet). I would be happy to just get
> this Wallstreet runnin linux in a text mode, I don't need to run X on it
> for my purposes.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Ron

Have you tried YDL 1.2 Champion Server? I have a G3 bronze(lombard) and it
works great on it. I love(d) it, until I upgraded my Mac OS to 9.1 and now I
have to figure out how to use yaboot.

Chris

p.s. Anyone have hints out there for me? BootX worked great, and I haven't
been able to find a clear concise method out there to tell me HOW to make
yaboot work.