Re: Adding drive space after install?

Subject: Re: Adding drive space after install?
From: Bill Fink (billfink@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 16:20:12 MST

On Mon Nov 05 2001, pete wrote:

> Thanks, I'll look into parted this evening.

Hi Pete,

Personally, I don't like parted very much. I would recommend installing
pdisk amd using that instead. pdisk is available with YDL 2.1 (either
on the install CD or via any of the working mirror sites), but is not
installed by default.

Now for why I don't like parted. First, it does not provide any way
to create or display the partitions in actual blocks, but rather only
in MB. Second, it has what I consider a serious bug in that if you
attempt to create a partition of size say 10 MB, it actually creates
a partition of size 10 MB + 1 block.

The second problem could cause serious difficulties when attempting to
modify an existing partition that had been created with pdisk, in that
it might cause a newly created middle partition to inadvertently overlap
the following partition (it should and maybe does automatically detect
such a situation and warn you about it, but I can't say since I've never
tried doing that). The only solution would be to make the new partition
slightly smaller and leave a small hole between the new partition and
the one following it. Obviously, if the new partition is the last one
on the disk, then there isn't a problem.

BTW, my experience is with the pdisk that came with YDL 2.0, so there
may be differences with the one in YDL 2.1 (I did a yup update from
YDL 2.0 to 2.1). I know it still only deals with MB, but I haven't
checked if it still adds an extra block to the partiton size you specify.

I for one plan to stick with pdisk for my partitioning needs, at least
until these problems get resolved with parted.

                                                -Bill