Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?

Subject: Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?
From: Marc Stergionis (stermarc@home.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 17:21:55 MST

Sometime around 4:18 PM -0500 on 11/5/01, Bo Brinkman pounded out this ditty:
>Read the note about this on yellowdog's web site. It was about
>halfway down the page last time I looked.
>
>Marc Stergionis wrote:
>
>>Went through a nice clean install of YDL2.1 (downloaded from the
>>McGill site ... thanks!) and configured.
>>
>>As instructed in the installer, I created a 10MB YDL boot
>>partition, which the installer then constructed at the end of my
>>install. I told the boot partition config window I wanted my
>>default boot to be Mac OS 9.
>>
>>When I rebooted, there seemed to be no option for YDL to boot. When
>>I then restarted the Mac OS and went to Open Firmware, I saw only
>>the OS9 and OS X partitions available for boot, no YDL boot option.
>>
>> From what I could tell, the bootstrap partition is an HFS volume,
>>but it's not on my desktop, either.
>>
>>How do I boot into YDL?

Hmmmm ... according to the note:

"If yaboot fails to execute after installing YDL 2.1
After install, reboot and hold the "c" key. Once you get to boot
options, type the following:

cd-linux root=/dev/<linux root partition>
(where <linux root partition> may be, for example, hda7 or sda6, but
without the < and >) Then:

/usr/sbin/ybin "

... I tried holding down "c" with the CD in, then did

cd-linux root=/dev/hda14

(return) ... then the kernel starts and I get to my installed linux system.

tried:

cd-linux root=/dev/hda14 /usr/sbin/ybin

(return) then I boot into my installed YDL system.

Either way, on rebooting the machine, I get no linux boot option,
either with a straight boot or going to Open Firmware (option key).

I tried rebooting with "c" held down and no CD in and, of course went
to Mac OS.

When I'm in YDL, I see that the /usr/sbin/ybin has an October date on
it (not today's date).

--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis -- Community Relations & website author