Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?

Subject: Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?
From: Bo Brinkman (brinkman@cs.princeton.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 17:49:25 MST

> Hmmmm ... according to the note:
>
> "If yaboot fails to execute after installing YDL 2.1
> After install, reboot and hold the "c" key. Once you get to boot
> options, type the following:
>
> cd-linux root=/dev/<linux root partition>
> (where <linux root partition> may be, for example, hda7 or sda6, but
> without the < and >) Then:
>
> /usr/sbin/ybin "
>
> ... I tried holding down "c" with the CD in, then did
>
> cd-linux root=/dev/hda14
>
> (return) ... then the kernel starts and I get to my installed linux
> system.

Now at this point you did /usr/sbin/ybin, right? If that doesn't work,
you might have the same problem I had: My /etc/yaboot.conf was wrong,
though I assumed this was because I didn't something screwy at the
partioning stage. My yaboot.conf had boot=/dev/hda11 and my MacOS
partition set as /dev/hda10...when in fact Macos is on /dev/hda9, boot
/dev/hda10 and /dev/hda11 was my swap. Perhaps you should boot into
linux (using the cd-linux root=/dev/hda14) and then check your
yaboot.conf and see if it is right? Also, if you get an error at boot
time that says something about swapon, then you probably have the same
problem I had, and will have to reformat your swap. (mkswap /dev/hdaX I
think, though you should certainly check and think carefully first!!)

--
William "Bo" Brinkman                         brinkman@cs.princeton.edu
Princeton Computer Science                 http://www.derandomized.org/