DAN!

Subject: DAN!
From: Pat Plummer (ppat@fmtc.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 21:01:56 MST

Dan:

Please accept my apologies for raising my voice : ) !

It appears there is a problem with using ppp 2.4.0 with the stock YDL 2.1
2.4.10-12a kernel. This problem is fixed by downgrading to the 2.2.19 kernel.

When running 2.4.10-12a on my iMac 400SE, ppp does not seem to be able to
communicate with the modem ("modem does not respond"), but works just fine
if I am running 2.2.19.

I have read in the archives that If I upgrade to ppp 2.4.1 this problem goes
away. There does not appear, however, an easy way to do this. ppp 2.4.1
requires the pam-devel headers/rpm for compiling which are not available with
the 2.1 release. Other ppc release ppp 2.4.1 rpms I have been able to find
require pam, pam-devel, and glibc (and possibly libgcc_s.so.1) upgrades for
installation and don't seem to want to install even if I could use them.

It doesn't seem to me that you folks at YDL would release the 2.4.10 kernel
as the default choice without having ppp work with the ppp version supplied
with the release, so it occurred to me that I must be missing something
fundamental.

Can you straighten me out?

TIA,
Pat