Re: fonts in koffice

Subject: Re: fonts in koffice
From: Tim Hodgson (thodgson@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 04:43:38 MST

On Tuesday 06 November 2001 10:34, you wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Tim Hodgson wrote:
> > Not sure if this is directly YDL-related, but thought I'd start here.
> > I seem to be missing a fair number of fonts in KOffice, most obviously
> > in KFormula, which has no Greek alphabet! This is KOffice version
> > 1.1-3 running on KDE 2.2.1, on a 'workstation' install of YDL 2.0.
> >
> > Font paths in XF86Config-4 seem to be as recommended in various FAQs,
> > and I'm getting no helpful error messages, to console or anywhere
> > else, about what's missing.
>
> Different fonts seem to be available throughout KDE when
> Control Center -> Look & Feel -> Fonts -> "Use Anti-Aliasing ..."
> is on or off.

Yes - with anti-aliasing on, KFormula switches to a different sans-serif
font. Also, when I use the 'add' toolbar, instead of empty boxes, it's
producing characters, but the wrong ones. Eg Greek sigma produces lower-case
'a' with a circle over it, and pi gives an upper-case 'O' with a tilde on top.

> If you look at the output of "xlsfonts | grep -i symbol" do you see some
> symbol fonts?

Yes, about 25 variants of adobe-symbol-medium-r-normal, and
urw-symbol-medium-r-normal.

> But they don't show up in KDE?

No. Kword only seems to know about 10 fonts (bitstream charter, courier,
Lucidux, helvetica, times, utopia).

> Do they show up in non-KDE X applications?

Yes - that's to say, gfontsel displays 56 fonts in 504 styles, and I can
happily process a latex doc into ps, with all symbols intact.

Thanks for the response - any other thoughts gratefully received!

Tim