Re: Simple? Newbie problem: Installing YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Simple? Newbie problem: Installing YDL 2.1
From: Rich Frueh (rvfrueh@excite.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 07:41:12 MST

On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:48:46 -0800,
yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com wrote:

> I followed the instructions installing BootX(oldworld)
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/guide_to_install.shtml
> excerpt:
> 8. When the BootX Installer is complete, select Restart.
> 9. When prompted by the BootX, select Linux to Install YDL.
>
> Ok, so I select Linux from BootX, but all I get is a b&w text screen with
no
> option to "install" not even a prompt.
> the screen says "Welcome to Linux, kernal 2.4.10-12a" with some other
info:
> linket at..., frame buffer at..., klimit... about a list of 15 things
> ending in "arch: exit"
>
> Any idea what I've encountered here? again I have no prompt to do
anything.

> ok, when I try the 2.2 kernal from bootX, it appears to switch to an
> incompatible/unintelligible monitor setting, but appears to be doing
> something, i.e. colors change, heavy CDROM accessing is going on but but
> can't tell what it's doing.
>
> thanks for any help!
> best,
> phil
>
> PS: this is on a Starmax 3000 with NewerTech G3 300mhz MacOS 8.6
installed
> on one 1.5GB HFS partition of a 20GB HD.

This happened to me, as well, using the 2.4 kernel, on a 6500/225. I did
get the text-based installer to work, but when I then reboot, if I'm using
the 2.4 kernel (default) it stops after the arch: exit. I lose all
horizontal hold. I can hear the drive cranking away, and it's trying to
boot, but I can't tell if it ever finishes. And since I use the graphical
login, I can't shut it down, since I don't know a key sequence to use to
login as root and select shutdown.

When I do the install with 2.2, it tells me I have the ATY card. ANyone
have any suggestions for arguments to give bootx to get the 2.4 kernel to
work?

Rich
-- Just imagine a really neat quote here --

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/