Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?

Subject: Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?
From: Bo Brinkman (brinkman@cs.princeton.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 11:03:38 MST

Marc Stergionis wrote:

> Sometime around 7:49 PM -0500 on 11/5/01, Bo Brinkman pounded out this
> ditty:
>
>>> Hmmmm ... according to the note:
>>>
>>> "If yaboot fails to execute after installing YDL 2.1
>>> After install, reboot and hold the "c" key. Once you get to boot
>>> options, type the following:
>>>
>>> cd-linux root=/dev/<linux root partition>
>>> (where <linux root partition> may be, for example, hda7 or sda6, but
>>> without the < and >) Then:
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/ybin "
>>>
>>> ... I tried holding down "c" with the CD in, then did
>>>
>>> cd-linux root=/dev/hda14
>>>
>>> (return) ... then the kernel starts and I get to my installed linux
>>> system.
>>

> OK, now I'm really having a dense "boomer" (not senior!) moment. After I
> get the boot options from booting off the CD and type "cd-linux
> root=/dev/hda14"
>
> I don't get when I'm supposed to type
>
> "/usr/sbin/ybin"
>
> because the kernel immediately starts loading (usual stream of text
> system check) and then I go straight to a graphical login field....
> Trying to type /usr/sbin/ybin during that kernel boot doesn't do anything.

Yes, then login as root and run ybin. :) ybin is a linux program that
installs yaboot in the correct partition and makes the partition
bootable. So 1) Boot your linux system using the cd 2) Login as root 3)
Check your /etc/yaboot.conf to see if it is sane 4) run the program
/usr/sbin/ybin as root 5) Reboot and pray

> I dumped my pdisk output below ...
>
> Mac OS9 is at /hda8
> Mac OS X is at /hda9
> Then a mess o' drive stuff and then a couple of HFS+ volumes at /hda12&13.
>
> My *root* partition is at /hda14
> My bootstrap is at /hda15 ... not convinced I really know what that's
> doing/for
> You're right ... the kernel did flag one of my swap partitions though ....
>
> And then I've got another ext2 volume at /hda18 ... wanted to be able to
> use it for overflow or /usr but not sure how to accomplish that since
> the installer won't allow me to name it /usr as YDL did with version
> 1.2.1...

As for this... You can manually switch things around yourself, but it is
a bit scary since there are lots of important executables in the /usr
directory. Maybe someone who has done it successfully before can help
you. I have moved my home from the root partition to a separate
partition, but this is not as tricky because you aren't trying to move
things that you might also being wanting to execute in order to
accomplish the move. :)