Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?

Subject: Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?
From: Bo Brinkman (brinkman@cs.princeton.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 13:24:56 MST

Marc Stergionis wrote:

> If "parted" is what's inside the gui installer, then that's what I used,
> sort of. I think I deleted partitions using pdisk (or was it HDT?) then
> I used the GUI installer to create the three 256MB swap partitions, 10MB
> Bootstrap partition, 2GB root partition and about a 400MB ext2 partition
> .... that I don't even know if YDL is seeing/using :)
>
> Anyway, the pdisk partition table I dumped shows /hda15 as
> "Apple_Bootstrap"
> not HFS, although you'd think that YDL would see it since it was created
> within the installer. I know it must not be "true" HFS because it does
> not mount under Mac OS.

My conclusion that it is supposed to be hfs is based on the ybin man page:

"Ybin requires that the bootstrap(8) partition have an HFS or MSDOS
filesystem already on it."

Furthermore, hcopy's purpose is to copy files to and from an HFS file
system.

It might be helpful to read the ybin (and perhaps hcopy) man pages to
help you understand what might be going wrong. If it were me I would 1)
Make sure that /dev/hda15 isn't mounted 2) Read the man page for
mkofboot, and then try using /usr/sbin/mkofboot, which should fix the
partition format if it is jacked up. 3) If all else fails, send mail to
YDL and see if they respond. :)

--
William "Bo" Brinkman                         brinkman@cs.princeton.edu
Princeton Computer Science                 http://www.derandomized.org/