Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?

Subject: Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:50:54 MST

At 4:03 PM -0700 11/7/01, Marc Stergionis wrote:
>Sometime around Wednesday 07 November 2001 03:37, Timothy A. Seufert pounded
>out this ditty:
>> Which brings up a question: is there a reason why you want to have
>> two or more swap partitions on the same disk? It doesn't seem likely
>> to gain you anything over having a single large swap partition.
>
>I thought I read that Linux only allows swap partitions of up to 256MB -- and
>I only have one drive.

The old swap format limit was ~128MB per partition for architectures
with 4K page sizes (PowrePC included). That limit hasn't applied for
some time now -- the current limit is 2GB for PPC.

>This G4 has 768MB of RAM and I wasn't about to make
>swap totaling 3x my RAM, but I figured I'd at least equal it. But maybe I
>don't need that much swap??

You don't, unless you plan to run really huge processes. With that
much RAM a token 128MB or 256MB should be fine. Early 2.4 series
kernels ideally needed 2x as much swap as RAM, but that problem has
been fixed.

--
Tim Seufert