Re: DHCP Networking in YDL 2.0 (NOT!)

Subject: Re: DHCP Networking in YDL 2.0 (NOT!)
From: Mark Jaffe (wizards@wizdev.net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 23:32:16 MST

On 11/7/01 8:18 PM, "Timothy A. Seufert" <tas@mindspring.com> wrote:

> At 5:49 PM -0800 11/7/01, Mark Jaffe wrote:
>> Once again, I beseech all members for a solution to the dilemma I face.
>> When connecting to the internet through the AirPort base station ethernet
>> link, YDL obtains a useless DHCP address that will not connect to any
>> known IP address. All my MacOS machines which share this base-station
>> either wireless or through the hub have functional connections, so this is
>> a shortcoming ONLY of YDL. I am getting no help from TerraSoft on this.
>> Anyone care to offer a hint?
>
> Hard to say without knowing more information about what's going on.
> Can other computers on your LAN ping the YDL box? Can it ping them?
> Is its IP address coming up in the range you'd expect it to?

Answer: NO, it is as if it is not on the network at all. But the address it
gets is definitely valid.

> One thing to try: RedHat based distributions (YDL included, at least
> as of 2.0) tend to default to using the "pump" DHCP client. I've
> personally had nothing but trouble with pump, and have had good luck
> deinstalling it ("rpm -e pump") so the system will fall back on the
> alternative "dhcpcd" client when attempting to configure a network
> interface with DHCP. Make sure dhcpcd is installed before doing this
> ("rpm -q dhcpcd"), and install it from the CD if necessary.

I had to fight a little to get pump to do anything; now I learn it is not
even expected to work. No wonder all it does is complain "Operation failed."

Mark
Mark Jaffe | (408) 972-9638 (home)
Chief Wizard | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail)
Computer Wizards | (425) 795-6421 (FAX)
wizards@wizdev.net | http://www.wizdev.net/