yaboot install failure (B/W G3)

Subject: yaboot install failure (B/W G3)
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:06:32 MST

Hi all,

Can't seem to install yaboot on a B/W G3 400Mhz (yosemite, first revision)

under MacOS 9.1.

My partitions are as follow:

/dev/sda6 /MacOS

/dev/sda7 bootloader (10Mb)

/dev/sda8 swap (128Mb)

/dev/sda9 / (4Gb)

The install goes on OK until I reach the yaboot install process.

ybin tries to install yaboot on the wrong partitions:

First, yaboot is installed in /dev/sda8 which is the swap partition (that

is the only choice proposed so I can't switch to the correct one).

Second, the MacOS partition is identified as /dev/sda9 which is also

incorrect (that's my root partition) and again I can't switch to

another partition as this is the only choice.

This results in:

-A corrupted swap partition that fsck could not even fix.

-No yaboot prompt when rebooting the Mac (not surprising).

I rebooted with the YDL CD to re-launch yabin (/usr/sbin/ybin)

as explained in the inst. guide in case of failure, I got the

prompt back after a while.

Still yaboot did not show up after a reboot.

At this point I think I might start from scratch, not install

yabin during the install process and try to play around with

the yaboot.conf file or the OpenFirmware but I don't know exactly

how to manage this.

What is your opinion and what should I do to fix this problem?

ThanX

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |