Re: Reiser fs and YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Reiser fs and YDL 2.1
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 03:38:10 MST

--On Thursday, November 8, 2001 8:52 am +0100 Dennis Staiger
<dnsstaiger@gmx.ch> wrote:

> I'd like to install a journaling filesystem. As far as I know, YDL 2.1
> comes with reiser fs, but I can't select it during the installation
> process (text based).

You need to compile support for Reiserfs into the kernel - there is an
option for this in the filesystems part of the 2.4.x kernel config. I
haven't tried it.

> Now I wonder how I can install reiser fs (or ext3) with YDL 2.1 and after
> all how well these journaling filesystems are supported on a ppc platform.

I'd love to know too! As far as I can see from reading the web sites,
there are some performance issues with ext3 and it needs a 2.2.x kernel.
Reiserfs requires a filesystem rebuild. So adopting either of them isn't
at the "trivial" level.

  Iain