Re: RPM src build problems MOL and lpstyl

Subject: Re: RPM src build problems MOL and lpstyl
From: Stephen Prause (SPRAUSE@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 10:15:06 MST

    I recently installed YDL v2.0 on my desktop PowerMac G3
266MHz. This has a kernel update to v2.4.4-1a from Tasty
Morsels. The original supplied PPC package for MOL did not work
and complained about kernel mismatch. I got the lastest RPMS
(mol-0.9.60-4), but the RPMS/ppc did not install correctly. I
also rebuild from the SRPMs, but it failed in the same splot. I
had a similar RPM issue with lpstyl. Here's how I got MOL
going.

    I terminated the rpm rebuild prior to the cleaning
sequence. I copied the mol and mol-kmod compressed tar files
into /usr/local/src. I had to fix the path in molvconfig
Makefile (to use /usr/local). I was able to build the
application as described (make dep, make, make install) without
issue or problems.

    I modified my /etc/molrc for my particular configuration
using my drive configurations. Was able to bring up the
startmol engine. Ran the molvconfig to set up video, very easy.

    My Mac system installation (v9.1) did not include a Mac OS
ROM, and I don't have the original installer CD. I tried v1.6,
v1.7.1 and v3.8 to no avail. Grabbed the Mac OS v9.2 update
download from Apple (thank you very much). Did a MacOS update
(includes everything for all models) and specifically used the
tome viewer to extract the Mac OS ROM (to make sure I got it).
Got all the Mac stuff reconfig'd and working and set up a
minimal extension set for testing Linux. Now MOL works. The
Mac OS ROM should be closely associated with your OS version.
Required some minor tweeking with video, disks and mouse.

    And it works GREAT! I set up networking (eth0 -sheep) and
set my unique IPaddr within TCP/IP control panel. Networking
works GREAT. I installed the MOLAudio, and now my sound works
GREAT. Then I figured all was going well, so I enabled
appletalk (atalk) on Linux. I shared a dedicated
/home/appleshare directory (world rwX) and my home (~ read
only). Now this Apple Talk networking works GREAT. Shared my
recently built lpstyl lp and ps printer. Was able to setup my
Laserprinter network printer using desktop printer utility.
Seem to have a postscript or a spooler problem, I'll resolve
that soon.

    To the author, developers, contributers, and mailing list I
THANK YOU for an incredible application. No more dual boot for
me!

Steve