Re: nVidia GeForce3-17in (ADC)LCD-Dual 800/MHz Quicksilver

Subject: Re: nVidia GeForce3-17in (ADC)LCD-Dual 800/MHz Quicksilver
From: Adam Scarcella (adamo97@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 11:23:59 MST

Just wanted to publically say thanks to Patrick. I'll try your
suggestions and post any future questions to the mailing list.

Adam Scarcella =)

From: Patrick Smith <patsmith@pobox.com>
Date: Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:48:06 PM US/Eastern
To: Adam Scarcella <adamo97@mediaone.net>

Adam,

When do I type video=aty128fb:1280x1024@60? Can I type this code into
the terminal window after the system has already booted up or do I need
to reboot every time to test a new line of code?

At the second prompt in the boot sequence, you would type

        linux video=aty128fb:1280x1024@60

But that's probably wrong for you. In this line,

"linux" is the name assigned to the kernel you want to run. (You
probably only have one kernel installed, so don't worry about this.)
Everything after this is arguments passed to the kernel.

"video=aty128fb" specifies the video driver to use. Which driver you
want depends on the card you have. My guess is that rivafb is the right
driver for you, but that's just a guess.
Everything after the colon is parameters for the video driver. What you
can use as parameters depends on the driver; I have no idea whether
these would work with the rivafb driver.

So you could try

        linux video=rivafb:1280x1024@60

or just plain

        linux video=rivafb

Other things to try:

If you have a CRT with a VGA connector, try using that instead of the
LCD. Of course, you want to use the LCD in the long term, but it's nice
to check that everything is working with a CRT first. (Actually, I
_had_ to use a CRT during the installation.) (Especially, try this with
"linux video=rivafb".)

With the LCD connected, boot the computer, wait a few minutes, then type
the following lines blindly, even though the display isn't working:

        root
        *your root password*
        /usr/sbin/fbset 1280x1024-60

Does the screen appear?

Why should I use 60 Hz? An LCD screen essentially has no refresh rate.

I don't know, but specifying 60 works. My guess is that this sets the
rate at which the video card sends data to the LCD.

I found nVidia drivers on nVidia's web site but they were for other
flavors of linux (i.e. RedHat, Mandrake, Etc...), not for YDL. Do you
think I could use them anyway? And if so, how do I install the new
drivers?

Anything that just says it's for "Linux" and is in binary form is
probably for Linux running on an x86 and useless on a PPC. If it's in
source form, it's quite likely useful on a PPC as well, but would have
to be compiled. However, compiling a kernel with a new driver is a last
resort; best to hope for now the appropriate driver is already in YDL
2.1's kernel.

I'm sorry for asking you so many questions. You're the only person who
responded to my e-mail. I would appreciate any further advice you might
have.

Although I'm not upset this once, this is not the way to do it. When
someone in a mailing list answers a question, and their answer is also
on the list, you shouldn't send further questions to that person.
Instead, any other questions you have should still be sent to the
mailing list. There are three reasons for this.

First, the person who answered the first time might not have the time,
inclination, or knowledge to answer the next time. Second, other people
might have the answers to your additional questions. Third, if your
questions and the answers might also be useful to other subscribers,
especially if they get stored in the archives. So if you do have more
questions, please send them to the mailing list.

Pat

--
patsmith@pobox.com