Re: Kppp problems with YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Kppp problems with YDL 2.1
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 16:23:54 MST

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Linux but am determined to use it to its fullest. I have just
> installed YDL 2.1 on an iMac Rev B machine. Install went flawlessly.
>
> I configured my Kppp and the dial up configurations. I did this in "root"
> and also for a regular user. As far as I can tell, I did everything
> correctly even to configuring the modem.
>
> Whenever I try to use Kmail or Konqueror, I either get an error message
> saying that the host does not exist or that there was an error in
> connecting to my POP3 mail. I can dial in alright, but my browser and email
> client can;t seem to recognize this fact and return error messages as if I
> am not logged on.
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> Thanks,

Try:
/sbin/route to see what you have for a default route. It should not be
eth0, it should be ppp0. If you've got the default as eth0, you can git rid
of it immediately with the command

/sbin/route -del default

to make this permanent, edit /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local (whichever
you have), and add the line:

/sbin/route del default

I've done this and now when I log in, /sbin/route shows:

Kernel IP routing table
tc1.rnktel.net * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
default tc1.rnktel.net 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0