FW: can't mount cd/dvd on ydl2.1

Subject: FW: can't mount cd/dvd on ydl2.1
mpople@orbeng.com
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 17:19:18 MST

-----Original Message-----
From: megabight@mac.com [mailto:megabight@mac.com]
Sent: Friday, 9 November 2001 3:23 AM
To: POPLE, Mark I
Subject: can't mount cd/dvd on ydl2.1

Hi,
      I have just installed ydl 2.1 on my powerbook G4 (very similar to
ibook install). The trick is to flip the 'check media' flag on the cdrom
driver before you do the install. It goes like this:

1) Boot from YDL cdrom
2) Pick the "install-text" method of installation.
3) Proceed to the "Custom" or "Default" screen
4) switch to console #2 by pressing: "alt","ctrl", "fn", and then "f2"
(in that order, not all at once).
5) type "echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media" (omit quotes)
6) switch back to the installer by pressing: "alt","ctrl", "fn", and
then "f1" (in that order, not all at once).
7) Proceed with install.

If you still get the "can't mount cd/dvd" error, then you probably have
a bad cdrom. The YDL 2.1 cd I burned with toast under macos had this
error no matter what I did. I re-burned the CD on another linux box, and
it worked fine.

Hope this helps,

-- megabight@mac.com

P.S. I saw your message on the YDL-general list, but I am not on that
list. If this solution works for you, you might want to post it to the
list to help other powerbook/ibook users.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

The contents of this email (including any attachments) may be
privileged and confidential. Any unauthorised use of the contents
is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please advise us immediately (you can contact us by telephone
on +61 8 9441 2311 by reverse charge) and then permanently
delete this email together with any attachments. We appreciate
your co-operation.

Whilst Orbital endeavours to take reasonable care to ensure
that this email and any attachments are free from viruses or other
defects, Orbital does not represent or warrant that such is explicitly
the case

(C) 2000: Orbital Engine Company (Australia) PTY LTD and its
affiliates