Re: MacOS X 10.1

Subject: Re: MacOS X 10.1
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 21:02:29 MST

On 11/8/01 9:13 PM, "Adam Scarcella" <adamo97@mediaone.net> wrote:

> I'm sorry for this but I have to say it. I'm running MacOS X 10.1 and
> it kicks ass. It has never crashed, it is screaming fast, it comes with
> all the software than MOST people could ever want or need, and it's
> built specifically for Apple computers. I signed up to this mailing
> list just the other day (right after I downloaded YDL 2.1) and already I
> have over 100 e-mails from extremely frustrated people who can't seem to
> do very simple tasks with YDL. MacOS X 10.1 can do just about anything
> that you need it to do (unless you're a Rocket Scientist and need a
> Cluster System). If you already have a Macintosh I don't see any reason
> for running YDL unless you just want to play with it. YDL, is not up to
> speed as far as I'm concerned. An OS should just work, PERIOD. You
> shouldn't have hundreds and thousands of pissed off users trying to
> figure out how to use the mouse after the system wakes up, or how to use
> the proper video driver, or how to get your printer to work. These are
> issue that were solved YEARS AGO by very smart engineers at APPLE.

I like OS X, in fact I'm writing this e-mail with it, but your e-mail was
nothing more than a padded flame. YDL is a great OS. Yes, linux needs to
improve if it wants to go mainstream, but I don't think that's the intended
audience. YDL can fit both ends of the user category. One can run a large
network off of it or YDL can also be used for home networks or for fun.
This e-mail list is about learning YDL and answering questions, not bashing
it.

Note that OS X is not without its drawbacks. There are still many issues
with lack of native programs, optimization issues, frequent program crashes,
etc.

--Brian