Re: MacOS X 10.1

Subject: Re: MacOS X 10.1
From: Joe Buczek (joe_buczek@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 00:07:15 MST

Adam,
    If you don't think Linux is for you, you are
"Free" to not use it. This is not the case for average
people who buy proprietary hardware running
proprietary software from any vendor, including Apple.

People who read this list are generally interested not
only in using Linux on PPC hardware, but are
interested in IMPROVING it as well. People who use
proprietary software, like OSX, are not "Free" to
improve it, though your post suggests that you don't
believe it could be improved. (I can't wait to see the
first run of "MacOS X For Dummies" books make it to
the bookstores.)

W/R/T your comment about the "smart people at Apple
who fixed all these problems a long time ago", I was
once a MacOS engineer years ago (I did most of the VM
work for System 7). Apple might have obliterated
Microslop 10 years ago if it had only been lucky
enough to have an underlying kernel as good as Linux.
Instead, it had a (non)operating system that was the
brainfart of Andy Hertzfeld, whom I've never had the
pleasure of asking why he didn't put a real context
switching mechanism into the original MacOS. I
architected and implemented a multiprocessor 68000
system in 1981, and there's not a reason in the world
the Mac could NOT have had a better OS than it did.
The lack of a "real OS" HOBBLED Apple as it eventually
had to compete with Microslop. And I can tell you from
stories I've heard from people I know who've worked on
it that some major bastardization had to take place on
the guts of OSX to make things like Quicktime work at
all, largely because QT was originally designed to
work on a HACK and not a real operating system. The
truth could only be known if Apple opensourced OSX,
which it will probably never do (the sins would be to
horrifying, I suspect). So much for "smart people at
Apple". (There certainly are and have been lots of
smart people at Apple, but a few of the ones
architecting MacOS software in 1984 weren't smart
enough.)

So, Adam, let me make two constructive suggestions:

1) delete that YDL distro you downloaded; it'll make
space on your hard drive for games and other
"non-rocket scientist" stuff

2) unsubscribe from this list if you are not
interested in using and/or improving Linux on Mac
hardware; in case you didn't notice, that *is* the
purpose of this list;

The comments you posted would more appropriately be
made in comp.sys.mac.advocacy.

--Joe