Re: MacOS X 10.1

Subject: Re: MacOS X 10.1
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@alum.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 07:54:17 MST

>If you already own a Mac, and it's capable of running MacOS X 10.1,
>USE IT. There is no other OS that can even come close.
>
>Adamo =)

Obvious Flamebait, but successive messages open some useful ideas I'd
like to continue:

--OS X has a significant opensource component, indeed is based on an
OS (BSD) that is arguably superior to any Linux in certain ways. In
other words: if you like OS X, it is largely because of the fruits of
the open source community. If you want to keep that pipeline strong,
support of YDL is so obvious as to be a necessity. (It's a
responsibility thing.)

--As a client user, I switch between the two. That's because YDL
gives me capabilities that X can't. I expect this to continue because
of the (to me) profound differences in philosophy between GPL and BSD
licenses and the communities they engender. I want the best of both
worlds and for now, that means living in two mostly separate worlds.

You (Adam Scarcella) are probably like me in the sense that you
cannot contribute extensions and bugfixes at present for some reason.
That's all the more reason to support YDL and cohort with our
goodwill and treasure.

Best, Ted