[OT] Re: Focus guys and Gals

Subject: [OT] Re: Focus guys and Gals
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 15:57:45 MST

Hey folks -

My 2 cents' worth: I enjoy the off topic stuff but it's nice to mark it as
such. I for one am filtering anything about yaboot, the nVidia etc. 'cause
they're irrelevant to my YDL system, and I wouldn't really mind if all
that traffic went to a dedicated list (or alternately if there were a
yellowdog-pre-of list), but it's great to have life in the community, and
advocacy and debate. Wouldn't have it any other way, and I think we're
bound to have some contradictions and disagreements simply due to the
schizoid nature of the Mac community (love the hardware, hate the ASICs,
love the software, hate the underlying limitations, feel like we're so
underground but our hardware costs twice as much as "the man's", etc.)
-- and for better or worse I think most YDL users are probably running
Apple-licensed hardware (correct me please if that isn't the case).

Anyway, if we just agree to [OT] the subjects of anything off topic, those
who want a "pure" list can filter those posts easily enough, and the rest
of us can have our rambles and rants without fear.

Very happy, btw, to hear from some of the folks who put in the time to
save Apple from itself over the years. I salute you, and I'm glad you're
here. I'm rehabbing some 68k machines and it's a truly fascinating variety
of problems one is confronted with in trying to run Linux/FreeBSD on them;
makes me realize what a fine piece of workmanship Apple's older system
software was. It's like a beautiful wooden steam launch that flies apart
if you open up the throttle -- but this point, who would want to? It's
fine just to take it out for a spin on Sundays.

Thanks, all, for the discussion.

- n2