Re: SMP on 9500MP

Subject: Re: SMP on 9500MP
From: Ron Smith (ronsmith28@home.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 18:50:23 MST

I haven't gotten SMP to work on my G4/500DP yet, but I agree that this
should work:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

I'm not positive that shows that the second CPU is actually being used
(I have seen in x86 Linux/BSD where the second processor is shown in
/proc/cpuinfo yet apparently not actually running any threads on the
second processor). If you load the machine with some workload and run
"top" it may show CPU use above 100%. That is a good indicator that the
second processor is in use. However, if it shows less than 100% that
does not *necessarily* mean that it is in use. It is my understanding
that newer versions of top can recognize that there is actually "200%"
of CPU available and is smart enough to look at each CPU load
individually and correct it to a 100% scale. Since I don't have mine
working at all yet, I can't say any of this is a correct answer.

If I'm way off base here, anyone with better knowledge should feel free
to enlighten me with a clue by four =)

-Ron