Re: 2.1 install probs(cant mount cd/dvd)

Subject: Re: 2.1 install probs(cant mount cd/dvd)
From: Robert Story (rstory-l@revelstone.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 21:18:06 MST

At 7:16 PM -0800 11/9/01, David Wheeler wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Robert Story wrote:
>> Try switching over to the shell window BEFORE selecting the install media
>> and mounting the CD by hand. Check the dmesg log and /dev for different
>> device names to try and mount on /mnt/media (or whatever the link is in
>> /mnt)
>
>I would, but the truth is that it makes no sense. I've booted the TiBook
>with the YDL 2.1 CD by holding down the 'c' key, so by the time I get to
>that stage in the installation, it should be perfectly obvious that the CD
>is already mounted!

No, you had MacOS boot by holding down the 'c' key, which then loaded
linux. Linux is running off a ram disk, and has no idea about the CD.

should get a shell prompt. (You can also try F3, F4, F5 for various other
windows with diagnostics)

Once you have the shell prompt, you just need to figure out what linux
wants the CD called. Often, this can be found on some of the diagnostic
screens. In some cases, the node may not exist is /dev, and you may have to
create it yourself. (I had to do this to use a SCSI CD on a SuperMac J700).
It may be that the same effect can be achieved through a parameter to the
kernel at boot time.. (I just know how to do it the hard way.)