Re: 2.1 install probs(cant mount cd/dvd)

Subject: Re: 2.1 install probs(cant mount cd/dvd)
From: David Wheeler (David@Wheeler.net)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 23:33:55 MST

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Robert Story wrote:

> No, you had MacOS boot by holding down the 'c' key, which then loaded
> linux. Linux is running off a ram disk, and has no idea about the CD.

Ah, I didn't realize that.

> should get a shell prompt. (You can also try F3, F4, F5 for various other
> windows with diagnostics)
>
> Once you have the shell prompt, you just need to figure out what linux
> wants the CD called. Often, this can be found on some of the diagnostic
> screens. In some cases, the node may not exist is /dev, and you may have to
> create it yourself. (I had to do this to use a SCSI CD on a SuperMac J700).
> It may be that the same effect can be achieved through a parameter to the
> kernel at boot time.. (I just know how to do it the hard way.)

Thanks. With your help, I figured out the problem once I saw the
now-familiar "wrong medium type" error. I had to

  echo "0" > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media

And then I was able to mount the CD and go on:

  mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/media

Thanks for the help -- I really appreciate it!

David