Re: SMP on 9500MP

Subject: Re: SMP on 9500MP
From: Bill Fink (billfink@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 11:17:18 MST

On Fri Nov 09 2001, Kjell Konis wrote:

> I built 2.4.13 with SMP support for use on a 9500MP (2 x 604@200). When I
> boot I see that it switches into SMP mode but I don't think it's actually
> using both processors, and top still only has one processor line. Is
> there a way to tell how many processors the kernel is recognizing? Also,
> is anyone else running an SMP kernel on this type of machine?

Hi Kjell,

As others have pointed out:

        cat /proc/cpuinfo

will tell you if both CPUs have been enabled.

To see the active use of both CPUs, a nice tool is xosview. xosview
is not installed by default with YDL 2.1 AFAIK, but you can install
it easily by doing a "yup install xosview", or getting it off the CDs
or mirror sites and installing it via "rpm -i". On my system, it did
have a bug where it core dumped when quitting out of the program by
typing 'q' in the X window, so you'll need to 'rm core' afterward if
you encounter this problem.

I hope this helps.

                                                -Bill