Re: SMP on 9500MP

Subject: Re: SMP on 9500MP
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 18:30:18 MST

At 3:11 PM -0800 11/10/01, Kjell Konis wrote:
>Maybe I don't know how to interpret this (actually, I don't know how to
>interpret this) but it doesn't seem to be showing 2 processors. Also, in
>dmesg I found

>Entering SMP Mode...
>Processor 1 is stuck.
>Waiting on wait_init_idle (map = 0x0)
>All processors have done init_idle
>
>What does it mean for processor 1 to be stuck?

Means that the kernel tried to start the second processor and failed.

As I recall, you may have to use the quik bootloader rather than
BootX to successfully use SMP on Power Surge Macs like the 9500MP.
Alternatively, it might help to switch to an old version of MacOS
since I think the BootX problem was caused by newer MacOS versions
partially initializing the CPU in a manner which interferes with
Linux.

--
Tim Seufert