Re: /sbin/macos ...self-destruct mechanism?

Subject: Re: /sbin/macos ...self-destruct mechanism?
From: Bill Fink (billfink@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 21:11:28 MST

On Sat Nov 10 2001, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:

> setenv boot-device hd:N,ofboot.b
>
> where N is the partition number of your Linux bootstrap partition.
> Note that OF uses hexadecimal, so if the number is 10 or higher, you
> need to use 'a' 'b' 'c' etc. instead of '10' '11' '12' etc. for N.

Ummm, I was with you until the above. My boot partition is on hda13,
and my boot-device is "hd:13,\\:tbxi" (I'm on a dual 500 MHz G4).

BTW, I used /sbin/macos last summer on an old world machine that I
normally booted via quik, but I had a summer student that just needed
to run MacOS, so I set up a macos login that just ran /sbin/macos
(the version that sets the boot-device to "/AAPL,ROM"). It then
booted using BootX which I had default to MacOS. When I wanted to
get back into Linux, I just selected it from BootX, and once the
system was up, I ran a script which reset the boot variables using
nvsetenv to once again boot using quik (so I could for example reboot
it from home and it would automatically come back up in Linux).

But there probably should be a /sbin/macos.ow and a /sbin/macos.nw.
I had another summer student this summer, this time on a new world
machine, and I used the same technique of a macos login that ran
the new /sbin/macos, but I commented out using nvsetenv to set
the boot-device to "hd:,\\:tbxi", so it was really just doing
a reboot. :-)

                                                -Bill

P.S. There are lots of dangerous things you can do as root. If you
      really don't know what a command is going to do, you really,
      really, really shouldn't run it as root.