Other Drive...

Subject: Other Drive...
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 22:21:13 MST

Hey,

  I just added a new IDE drive to my beige minitower (running MacOS 9) by
way of a Sonnet Ultra ATA 100 card. Now I want to install YDL on it... The
problem is that when I boot into the installer the only disk choice for
repartitioning is my original MacOS drive (I don't want to install here, I
want to use my new drive!). I posted a few days ago asking if there was
support for this card, and now I'm thinking that maybe there is
not... D'oh. But, nonetheless, I would like to press on and figure out how
to get this working.
  So... Just to make sure that this is not a user mistake, in the text
installer how does one choose another drive? I've never run the installer
see an obvious way to do so, just hda listed as the drive in the middle of
the window.
  Also, I am seeing some odd behavior regarding this drive anyway... The
MacOS partitions are showing up just fine under 9.1 (in fact, in the BootX
kernel selector they are showing up as well) but when I look at the System
Profiler, the card shows up as SCI Bus 1, instead of as an ATA
card... So, it seems to think that this is a SCSI card/drive. Is there
anything special I would need to do to get a SCSi drive to show up under
the installer? Or any other ideas?
  One thing that I was thinking, but wasn't sure about... Would it be
possible to hook an Ultra ATA/100 drive up to my Mac's normal ATA bus,
install Linux and then move it over to the card? Because if so, maybe it
would be less of a hurdle to get it to recognize it at that
point? Hm...probably not, but just checking :)

Thanks,
Mike