YDL seems a little slow

Subject: YDL seems a little slow
From: Dana Robinson (derobins@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 21:53:15 MST

Group,

I have YDL 2.0 running on my 7500 with a 260 MHz G3 upgrade card and 96
Mb of RAM. It works fine, but I've noticed that it seems a little slow.
It takes forever to log on, applications seem to take a long time to start
and compiling takes longer than I would expect.

Recently, I installed RHL 7.2 on a Pentium 166 with 64 Mb of RAM. It
seemed much more responsive. Logging on, in particular, took a lot less
time. Both the Pentium and the Mac are similiarly configured and are very
lightly loaded - neither runs any heavy-duty servers or anything.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is much more knowledgable in the ways of
Macs, and he said it might be the G3 card that I have. He says that the
G3 upgrades are a mixed bag with regards to compatability. Is this true?
Could it be something else? Is the linux kernel for PPC just not as
optimized for PPC since it's newer and has fewer people working on it?
Do I need more memory on a PPC than on Intel hardware? I plan to build a
custom 2.4 kernel on it this week to see if that helps. Maybe if I clean
out some of the genero-build junk it will be a little more nimble.

Note that my intention here is not to start an "intel vs. PPC" flame war.
I'm just curious to know if there are any known PPC issues that slow the
kernel or GUI down.

Oh, I should mention that I know about the memory-interleaving thing on
the 7500's. I do have the memory banks arranged properly.

Thanks for your time,

Dana Robinson