Re: YDL 2.1 No Video

Subject: Re: YDL 2.1 No Video
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 11:59:02 MST

I don't believe my problem has anything to do with X, but for kicks I
followed the directions on the site for configuring X, which as I expected,
didn't change anything.

To restate my problem, early in the OS boot sequence (*not* booting into X),
likely before any runlevel is entered, my screen goes black. If I boot with
linux-novideo, I can see everything, and everything basically works,
including X, but in X (and MOL) I only get 8 bit color. Probably due to
being unable to load the appropriate video driver.

There is nothing esoteric about my setup--it's a baseline G4 with an ATI
card (Rage Pro, I think). Has no one else really experienced this? Perhaps
it is a 2.1 anomaly, or due to my having updated the firmware to 4.2.8?

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.