Re: Won't startup after 2.1 upgrade

Subject: Re: Won't startup after 2.1 upgrade
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 13:22:58 MST

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Marc Stergionis wrote:

> I had YDL2 running well on my Power 100 (8100 clone). I upgraded
> using yup and that went well, things worked nicely and appeared
> updated when I logged out and in.
>
> Problem now, is that after I restarted, I get an endless loop from
> the text login window to the attempt to start X. The machine was set
> to automatically boot into X. But the text login appears momentarily
> (not long enough to type in my username) and then goes to the gray X
> screen, but the X "cursor" doesn't move and then it flashes back to
> the text login screen.
>
> ... of course now I see why text logins are recommended :(
>
> The Nubus port is a 2.4.5 kernel.
>
> I've tried the combinations of the control and function keys, but
> get nothing from that.
>
> Any way to get past this, or did I break it?

What are you booting with? BootX? yaboot?

You want to boot into single-user mode and fix your /etc/inittab so that
the default runlevel is 3, not 5. 3 is multi-user w/ text, 5 is multi-user
w/ X.

To boot to single-user mode with yaboot, stop at the yaboot prompt, and
say "<kernel-name> single".

I think you should be able to pass "single" as a BootX argument, too.

Alternatively, did you configure networking? Perhaps you can telnet in as
a normal user, su - into root, and fix it there.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net