Re: /sbin/macos ...self-destruct mechanism?

Subject: Re: /sbin/macos ...self-destruct mechanism?
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 13:33:01 MST

Carl,

From the macos man page:

DESCRIPTION
macos changes the OF variables to boot MacOS, and reboots the system
into MacOS. Can only be run from console (as root).

To get your yaboot loader back, you need to boot into OpenFirmware
cmd+option+o+f and at the prompt type 'boot hd:8,yaboot' with 8 being
your bootloader partition.

Once you're back in linux, re-run ybin to reset OF. 'man ybin' for
more details.

HTH

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 01:18:58PM -0600, Carl McCabe wrote: > This question was posted previously by another list memeber, but I > haven't seen a solution so I'll try again: > > Out of curiousity, I typed /sbin/macos as root and, as expected, my iMac > restarted into the Mac OS. But when I restarted again there was no prompt > giving me the options to start into Linux, Mac or from a CD. Instead it > just started into my Mac OS. So from this I have two questions... > > 1.) Has anyone else tried /sbin/macos? And if so, did you have the same > results? > > 2.) Once this command has wreaked its havok, what can I do to reverse it? > Should I reinstall the boot partition from CD? Or is there a more > specific solution. > > Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm still feldgling at > sysadmin, so maybe one of you more experienced linux problem solvers will > be able to easily dice this problem up. Thanks, > > Carl > > > > The 3 great virtues of a programmer: > Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris. > --Larry Wall