Monitor Problem With pre 1999 powerebook

Subject: Monitor Problem With pre 1999 powerebook
From: Tom Astle (tom@pcc.com )
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 15:00:52 MST

Hello,

I am new to yellowdog but not to linux, I am an ex-linuxPPC user that just
installed yellowdog 2.1.

I have a Powerbook G3 300 and I am trying to use an external monitor
Philips 109s with it. Xconfigurator set up my internal monitor
fine with the fbdev driver, although there doesn't seem to be a
atyfb driver present for XFree86.

When I try to use the external monitor, no matter what timing values
and gamma settings I give it, the colors not only in X but also
in console mode are way too bright and appear to be smeered.

This used to happen under LinuxPPC too, but the only way I fixed it
was by using Xpmac, I don't want to go back to that.

Anybody know what's wrong and how to fix it?

Tom