Re: Thanks Terra Soft

Subject: Re: Thanks Terra Soft
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 17:45:07 MST

At 5:57 PM -0500 11/13/01, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
> Just wanted to say thanks to the Terra Soft folks for the greate work in
>making sure there is support for Linux on the most recent Apple
>hardware. I just installed YDL 2.1 on a Dual 800 MHz G4 with 1 GB of RAM,
>and it is working beautifully (without X windows, it'll only be running
>PostgreSQL).
>
> The only strange thing I have found, is that the bogusmips are *lower*
>than my G4/DP450. Is this normal?

Yes. "bogus" is right. Bogomips can vary a great deal from one
processor family to another, or even on the same processor when
features are toggled on and off. I've seen bogomips literally double
when several G3 performance features are enabled, even though on real
life programs the boost from the features in question (BTIC and BHT)
is maybe 5% to 10% for most programs.

The MPC7450 CPU used in every Apple G4 faster than 533 MHz is an
entirely new core design, very different from the earlier 7400/7410
G4 CPUs. So it is not unexpected for it to have rather different
bogomips scores.

--
Tim Seufert