Last problem with otherwise happy YDL2.1 install

Subject: Last problem with otherwise happy YDL2.1 install
From: Jake Feasel (anjf2@uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 00:44:45 MST

Since my initial posting a while back "Hot complaints about YDL 2.1"
I've got almost 100% of the things I was bitching about fixed. I got
the 2.4.10 kernel installed - this required first installing 2.2 kernel,
then installing the 2.4 rpm afterward. Also, I got my airport working
in 2.4 - following the instructions on the support page worked without a
problem (nice work). I have to say, goddamn, power management in 2.4
kicks some serious ass! I can now simply close my screen, and it goes to
sleep. When I open my screen, system comes right back where I left it.
 That kicks ass. I know YDL guys probably didn't make this feature, but
whoever did, damn! You guys kick ass. A not-so-nice experience was
getting the CD/DVD-drive to work in 2.4 - what a bitch. Here's what I
had to do:

GETTING THE CD-ROM TO WORK

in my /etc/rc.local I had to add the line :
echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media

I found this tidbit from the lists or the support page, don't remember.
 That wasn't it though. Next, had to add this line to the
/etc/yaboot.conf file in the image=/boot/linux section:

image=/boot/vmlinux
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda12
    append="hdc=ide-scsi"

the line I added was the "append" line. After that, be sure to run ybin
or your changes won't take. Still not done - after rebooting, you have
to do this:

# dmesg | grep sr0
If this command doesn't return anything, your drive isn't being setup to
look like scsi. Make sure that the ide-scsi param is being loaded by
checking /proc/cmdline and seeing if it contains hdc=ide-scsi (where hdc
is your ide cd/dvd drive). If it doesn't, rerun ybin and reboot until
this file and this command show you what you want to see.

# mknod /dev/sd0 b 11 0 (from memory - I think that's right - if not
check older archives, which is where I pulled this from)
This makes the device file /dev/sr0, which is your reference to your new
scsi emulated drive. I recommend changing the symlink /dev/cdrom to
point to /dev/sr0 and making it world read/writable (for user level
access + encrypted DVDs)

After all of this, my CD drive finally works perfectly just as you'd
expect it too. I don't know why scsi emulation is required for cd-roms
in kernel 2.4, but it apparently is.

MY CURRENT PROBLEM

The only other problem I current have with my system is a real strange
one. On boot (dmesg), I see that my sound drivers are being loaded
correctly - with no errors or warnings, etc... I can use xmms and xine
to listen to music / video - the really freakin wierd thing is this
error I get with the (I think) KDE sound server - I'm getting this error
when I try to start it (the sound server) :

(In "Informational" popup):

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:
Can't set playback format (_format = 16, asked driver to give 16, got 32)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I don't know how I'm supposed to fix this - sound has always been either
totally off or totally on for me in other linux setups - here, KDE apps
don't have sound because the KDE sound server isn't starting correctly
(I guess - could be KDE apps aren't playing because they are
experiencing the same error the server is, but independantly of it). It
looks to me like the driver wants to give out a 32 format (whatever the
hell that is) but not a 16. Any ideas on where I might be able to
change either the driver settings to accept a 16 or KDE to ask for a 32
format? I just want to hear the startup jingle and ktuberling speak to
me, but hey, I demand perfection, damn it. It would be nice if my KDE
apps had sound. So any help you can offer would be really great. Oh
yeah - dmesg says my sound card is as follows:

dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 1 Rev 3
dmasound_pmac: found Keylargo rev 2 or later - H/W byte-swap disabled
PowerMac Screamer DMA sound driver rev 016 installed
Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.06
Write will use 4 fragments of 32768 bytes as default // I
don't know if these two lines
Read will use 4 fragments of 32768 bytes as default // are
part of sound driver output

IN CONCLUSION

Dispite what people probably thought when reading my last post, I am
really, really happy with my TiBook running YDL 2.1 (after my getting it
working). I'm very glad I shelled out the bucks and helped out Terra
soft. Hopefully they take my last post and this one not as flames but
helpful suggestions on what to improve in later releases. Thanks
Terrasoft! Keep up the good work!

Jake Feasel