Re: Linux distros

Subject: Re: Linux distros
From: AllanL (AllanL@RCCB.OSIS.GOV)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 07:16:03 MST

 n_ki <nik@f0.am> wrote

start quote
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
[13.11.2001 ? 13:57 Uhr] Mark Philip -->

>Hi all,
>Another question:
>For distributions, which one should I consider and why - LinuxPPC or YDL?
>Many thanks!

if you have some experience with linux, i would also recomend the ppc port
of
debian. http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

the installation process can be a bit convoluted (if it doesnt work
perfectly),
but once its running i find the intergration, maintainence, and upgrading
much
smoother (and more advanced) than rpm based distros (linuxppc + ydl).

ive recently 'upgraded' several machines to debain-ppc, after persistent
probelms with rpms + ydl. although yup is gtting closer to what apt and dpkg
already provide, it still relies on the rpm database.

you might find that ppc specific features will appear sooner in ydl (such
as
the nvidia geforce support), since it looks like the most active, ppc
specfic
gnu system at the moment.

end quote

I would think so , however I found that the only system that supported my
s900 with twinturbo was suse 7.1using the newest kernel (2.4.x). it
automatically saw the twinturbo. Mandrake didn't and with some help told it
video=imsttfb and then it did not know what scsi support to install, a force
caused it to hang. Yellow Dog also did not see the card - did not try the
video= on YDL. Have not played with debian.