iceBook CD audio, system config, etc.

Subject: iceBook CD audio, system config, etc.
From: Romain Kang (romain@kzsu.stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 11:08:10 MST

Greetings,

I've just brought up YDL 2.1 on a dual USB 500MHz iBook and have
what are probably common questions. However, I haven't ferreted
out the answers from the yellowdog-general list. I'd appreciate
any pointers to other good sources of information.

First, I'd like to get CD audio working. xmms plus the xmms-cdread
plugin reads data fine from /dev/hdb, and even pulls the right info
from a CDDB server. However, the audio seems to have an endian
problem. I can't find any adjustments via xmms itself to fix this.
Also, I'd like to figure out how to get it to use freedb.org, since
I've fed a lot of track listings to them over the years. Before
I look up the source for xmms-cdread, does anyone have a quick
answer?

Second, I'd like to recompile the kernel, but I can't figure out
which config was used to build the 2.4.10 that came on the CD's.
In particular, I want ide-scsi and sg modules so that I can use
cdrecord. What config should I start with?

Third, is there a trackpad setting I should use? If I rest my
index finger on the pad, the mouse cursor rapidly oscillates within
a 1 cm radius of some middle point. Most of the time I'm using
a Logitech Marble Mouse, so this hasn't been too severe a problem.
Would I regret turning on Emulate3Buttons? This tends to disable
scroll wheels, but I'm not using one at the moment. I've yet to
start figuring out a set of keyboard mappings that work for me.

On the plus side, I'd forgotten how quick a 500 MHz machine
really is when you don't have to run Aqua...

Thanks,
Romain Kang Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain@kzsu.stanford.edu except when indicated otherwise.