Re: modem on iBook2001

Subject: Re: modem on iBook2001
From: Filippo Fraternali (filippo.fraternali@tin.it)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 17:48:14 MST

>>> If you're gettin "modem not responding" at the ATZ, then setting modem
>>> volume to off won't help you, it's something before that.

>>> If you do an `lsmod` do you see i2c_keywest and macserial loaded? (There
>>> are a few others you need too ... but if those aren't showing up ...)

>>> If they are, look in the output of `dmesg` for info about ttyS0.

>>> What kernel are you using? You need a fairly recent one.
>> I have YDL 2.0 with kenerl 2.2.19-1k, I plan to update to 2.1 but I would
>> have liked to do it on-line after the modem configuration.
>
> I'm fairly certain you need a recent 2.4.x kernel with i2c support for the
> modem to work in a new iBook.
>
> I suspect you can upgrade to the YDL 2.1 kernel without doing the rest of
> YDL 2.1. You might try that first.

Ok, I updated to YDL2.1, I still have problems as I explained in a separate
message but anyway the modem is still not recognaized.

If I now type "lsmod" I get:
[root@fomalhaut]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
serial 51488 1 (initializing)
printer 7056 0
i2c-keywest 5008 0 (autoclean) (unused)
dmasound_pmac 42896 0
i2c-core 14864 0 [i2c-keywest dmasound_pmac]
dmasound_core 13296 0 [dmasound_pmac]
soundcore 5264 3 [dmasound_core]

and "dmesg" gives:

PPP generic driver version 2.4.1
PPP Deflate Compression module registered
PowerMac Z8530 serial driver version 2.0
ttyS0 at 0xd98dc020 (irq = 22) is a Z8530 ESCC (cobalt modem)
ttyS1 at 0xd98e3000 (irq = 23) is a Z8530 ESCC

The message I got with "wvdial" is exactly the same "modem not responding".

Any ideas?
thanks again,

filippo