Using Apache with a dynamic IP number

Subject: Using Apache with a dynamic IP number
From: Robert J. Bloemeke (bloemeke@mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 23:27:40 MST

Hello,
I have just installed yellowdog 2.1 into my iMac. Everything seems to be
working with no problem. Apache server up and running too.

I want to practice administering Apache but don't want to pay for a fixed IP
number yet. I have two computers on my desk here, one is the iMac Linux and
the other is an OS 9.1. They are each hooked up to the same internet cable,
but they are each assigned two different IP numbers when booted. (I paid
extra to the ISP for this).

Here is my question: Why can't I access the pages that are served by the
iMac's apache, via the web browser in my other computer? I went into the
iMac and noted the IP number that the IPS assigned to it, and entered it
into the browser on the MacOS machine. It just sits there with no display,
not even an error message.

The iMac apache *does* serve pages on the imac itself though when I enter
http://www.localhost, so I know it's up and running.

Any ideas?

Robert