Radeon Mac Edition and YDL 2.1

Subject: Radeon Mac Edition and YDL 2.1
ghannon@cspi.com
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 12:14:50 MST

I've abandoned getting an NVidia card going under 2.1 (for now) and
happened to get
"lucky" that one Mac we ordered showed up with two video cards. The second
Card is
a Radeon Mac Edition - which came from Apple, but is made by ATI.
I bought the DVIator cable, pulled the NVidia
card and with 2.1 after doing an "install-text-novideo" install, I was
hooked up.
It solved my graphics weird colors issue.

I then bought 3 more of the "same" card from Dr.Bott and I'm having no
luck.

The difference I see is when I type fbset -i on the working one I get
OFfb: ATY, Rage6p

and on the non-working one I get
OFfb: ATY,Radeon.

I'm heading down the path of applying Ani Joshi's patch to XFree86 4.1.0.
Also thinking I may be needing different Kernel stuff - perhaps Ben H.'s
rsync tree at penguinppc.org.
Has Dan Burcaw put a kernel on the website with the radeonfb built in?

Does this sound like the right thing to be doing, or is it much more
simple?

I have tried swapping card between machines, the "Rage6p" automatically
works in either system.
The other one works nowhere. I believe that Apple somehow modified the
firmware on the working card, as it is
a Radeon Card, but has a little Apple sticker on one of the chips.

I've tried running Xconfigurator - -noprobe and specified to use ATI driver
vs frame buffer and then X won't start.

Anything I do with fbset doesn't seem to take.

I've been hacking for about a week and haven't gotten anywhere.
My brain hurts!

G. Hannon
cspi.com
978-663-7598 x1509