Re: modem on iBook2001

Subject: Re: modem on iBook2001
From: Romain Kang (romain@kzsu.stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 18:04:49 MST

Filippo,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:48:38AM +0100, Filippo Fraternali wrote:
> At this point I really would like to know what it is still wrong on my poor
> modem.
> The system is working pretty well, everything is fixed exept modem and
> sound, and I also seemed to have done almost everything you did.
> There is something I would like to know...

You are not going crazy. There was no macserial.o in my YDL 2.1
CDs, either. I solved this by figuring out a new .config for my
iceBook and building my own kernel and modules, based on the kernel
source in YDL 2.1. I was able to connect to the modem and try a
few AT commands, but I haven't had a chance to try dialing out yet.

> 1) What exactely you get when typing lsmod?
>
> this is what I get now:
> [root@fomalhaut]# lsmod
> Module Size Used by
> printer 7056 0
> i2c-keywest 5008 0 (autoclean) (unused)
> dmasound_pmac 42896 0
> i2c-core 14864 0 [i2c-keywest dmasound_pmac]
> dmasound_core 13296 0 [dmasound_pmac]
> soundcore 5264 3 [dmasound_core]

Looks to me as if the sound should be working. Maybe you need
to run a mixer app to set nonzero loudness?

Romain Kang Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain@kzsu.stanford.edu except when indicated otherwise.