Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1

Subject: Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 12:12:30 MST

"Timothy A. Seufert" wrote:

> Patrick Ladam wrote:
> > Could someone tell me what are his OF variables after a yaboot install,
> > I have the impression that mine are not correctly set for some weird
> > reasons. You can see that by booting the mac while maintaining
> > ALT+APPLE+o+f pressed. Here you get in the OF prompt, simply type
> > printenv and you will have your variables displayed. Once you are
> > done, type mac-boot or shut-down.
> >
> > Here is what I get for the relevant OF variables:
> >
> > boot-command: mac-boot (my guess is it should be boot)
>
> No, that's right. (it's mac-boot on my working B&W G3 setup)
>
> > boot-file: none (my guess is it should be ofboot.b or yaboot)
>
> It should be blank. boot-file isn't normally used unless you're
> going to have OF try to read a kernel directly (I think).
>
> > boot-device: /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/pci9004,7850@3/@0:8,\\:tbxi
> >
> > I tried a bunch of variations around boot-device (turn tbxi into yaboot
> > for instance) with no succes. This is getting me mad!!!
>
> Try:
>
> /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/pci9004,7850@3/@0:8,ofboot.b
>
> (it's a shot in the dark but it might work)
>
> Also, what kind of SCSI card is it? Looks like it might be an
> Adaptec 2930, but I think Adaptec might have used the 7850 chip with
> the 2906 as well. If it's a 2906 (or other card with no firmware)
> you can't boot from it.
> --
> Tim Seufert

ThanX Tim for the infos,

I spent the evening again in the dark caves of the OF, that's interesting
thought...
My SCSI card is a 2940 UW2 . When I do a mac-boot from OF after playing around
it shows a black screen with the mac chime in blue and displays the following
line:

/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/ADPT,2940U2B@4/disk0:6,\\:tbxi

then it boots correctly into MacOS. So this might be the correct

boot-device in my case though a devalias in OF does not show that

for my SCSI card(???). Anyway I tried from the OF to boot using

/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/ADPT,2940U2B@4/disk0:6,yaboot but not ofboot.b as you

say.

This card should be bootable no? This is where my master drive is plugged if I
understand
correctly.

Bye

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |