Re: New Powerbook G4 Ti and YDL

Subject: Re: New Powerbook G4 Ti and YDL
From: Winston Chang (winston@stdout.org)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 09:27:52 MST

Yogesh -

James and I figured it out a while back. As I don't have the powerbook
in linux right now, I'm writing this from memory, so I might make some
mistakes

The first thing you have to do is install a new kernel, which you can
get from http://www.ppckernel.org/

You'll probably want to download the bitkeeper-stable series. Then
install the kernel by copying vmlinux-2.4.15 and System.map-2.4.15 to
/boot and the modules directory to /lib/modules/2.4.15 (you may have to
tack a pre-8 to the end of the directory name).

You'll also have to do a 'chown -R root.root /lib/modules/2.4.15' to
make the kernel happy. The final step to getting the kernel installed
is to add the new kernel to /etc/yaboot.conf and run /usr/sbin/ybin.

Add this to /etc/fb.modes:
mode "1152x768-55"
     # D: 64.994 MHz, H: 44.154kHz, V: 54.701 Hz
     geometry 1152 768 1152 768 8
     timings 15386 168 26 29 3 136 6
endmode

Now you're ready to reboot. After you do so, try running something like
this: 'fbset 1152x768 -depth 24'

If you haven't made any mistakes (and I as well), you should have a nice
big linux console that is so painfully slow it takes 10 seconds to view
the output of 'ls -l' in /etc. But that's OK, because you're going to
run 'startx' and everything's going to be fine.

I found that a couple of things broke with the new kernel (power
management and sound) but I had used a slightly older kernel. One
really annoying thing about YDL on the new powerbook is that I can't get
it to wake up from sleep properly -- the screen gets all screwed up.
Hopefully that's been fixed by now...

Anyway, good luck with this! If I've made any errors in this, please
post any corrections to yellowdog-general so that anyone else who has
this problem can see how to fix it.

If anyone can tell me how to stop my trackpad from being so sensitive in
small-scale motion in X, I'd like to know. I think the drivers for
MacOS know to decelerate sensitivity a lot in small motions...

--Winston

On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 08:41, Yogesh Joglekar wrote:

> Hi guys,
> My name is Yogesh Joglekar. I came across your postings on the
YDL
> website regarding new powerbook. I also recently purchased a Powerbook
Ti